Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Does Hot Water Taste Better Than Cold Water?

Does hot water taste better than cold water?

What is Hot Water?
By hot water, Chinese people literally mean boiled still water. No lemon, no tea, absolutely nothing with it. Just plain, simple hot water. However, whenever I ask for hot water in restaurants, waitresses almost always feel bad serving it without anything.

I remember one time during my freshman year of college, I asked for hot water as usual when a server asked, "What can I get you for drink," at a restaurant. The server immediately repeated the two words, "Hot water," about twice, and it made me wonder whether there was something wrong with my mouth or my pronunciation. She then asked a couple more questions, but the one that surprised me the most was, "Does hot water taste better than cold water?"

After I assured her the taste is the same for both, my brain processed and my mind blew up.
"You got to be kidding me," I thought.
Water is not coke. The temperature casts no spell on the plain, simple water. Cold water tastes like water, and so does hot water.

But then, why do Chinese people drink hot water then?

Western Perspective of Hot Water?
Well, hot water does not have a market in the Western countries. Based on "Which Is Better, Drinking Ice Water or Warm Water?" there really is no major difference between the effects of ice water and warm water.

On the other hand, 8 Reasons to Drink Hot Water suggests that hot water:
  1. Cleanses the Digestive System
  2. Flushes Out Toxins
  3. Enhances Stamina and Performance
  4. Improves Emotional Responses and Thoughts
  5. Improves Blood Circulation
  6. Treats Constipation
  7. Helps Congestion
  8. Soothes Sore Throats
Chinese Perspective of Hot Water?
According to the Chinese medicine, it is better to drink hot water instead of cold water after meal, after workout, and during menstrual cycle. Some Chinese doctors believe that Chinese people's body type is not conditioned to eating overly cold or icy food. Chinese medicine explains that cold and icy food can damage the spleen, the stomach, and the lung, making it more probable to get sick.

Another theory of Chinese medicine suggests the protection of Ying-energy and Yang-energy.
That means one should eat hot food during the spring and the summer, while cold food during the fall and the winter.

My Opinions of Hot Water?
I know when digging into the Chinese medicine theories it seems all confusing and black magic-related. Some of these Chinese medicine knowledge are learnt throughout the childhood. When a Chinese kid kicks off the blanket, the mother would demand the child to at least cover up his belly button. When a young girl wants to eat ice on her period, the mother would seriously warn her about the severe pain that comes after. When I nom lychee like crazy, both my mom and my grandma rebuked me and explained that lychee is "hot" because of its Yang-energy and if I were to overeat my nose would start bleeding.

I remember thinking, "But I took these lychee out from the refrigerator, how can it be hot?!"

Most Chinese people probably drink hot water because their parents taught them so. However, it probably worked for some of them, whether psychologically or physically, so they would keep this habit.

Preview for the next week: I am still choosing between a number of options...

Sources: http://health.people.com.cn/GB/11761693.html

No comments :

Post a Comment

+/- Categories